Thursday, March 19, 2015

Lightweight Denim Frames for Artwork

I made these denim frames for prints I'd bought in Alaska.  The prints were inspired by a marathon there and seem to have Klimt's influence. I've always loved Gustav Klimt's paintings. 

I used to have these prints framed in black wooden frames. But I took them out since glass falling in an RV will not have a good result, and the likelihood is that would will fall sooner or later, or often. So I made frames from cardboard, covering them with padding and repurposed denim; using just scissors and glue. It was messy. The prints are protected by heavy plastic - not as protected as the glass would have been though.

These denim frames match the Bohemian look in our RV, but I do have to say that the black ones set the artwork off much better. They were stunning before, and mesmerizing. I used to have them in my office at work and frequently people would comment that their eyes were constantly drawn to the work, as were mine. They had more "energy" with the black frames. But maybe our RV has enough energy in the rest of the look that the frames soften things just right.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

T-Shirt quilt - University of Maryland Theme

 T-Shirt quilt I made for my daughter with her University of Maryland era T-shirts. I loved doing machine quilting on this and had fun going...