Thursday, February 19, 2015

Denim Curtains for the RV

I made two sets of curtains for the RV bedroom area. They are denim with cotton valances attached and matching trim and pull-backs.  I used the curtains that had been stock in the RV as a pattern, except I shortened the valance because I wanted to let more light in. I only wanted to cover up the fold-up shade underneath the curtains which didn't have it's own valance and was ugly at the top, with exposed stitching. In this picture, it is folded all the way up and is covered completely by the cotton valance. The shade matches the valance color but is plain.

I also put small Velcro strips on the inside side hems of the denim part of the drapes in the bedroom so that at night I could pull them all the way closed to keep it darker. Again, the entire curtain is one piece, joined with the valance so I can't just slide each denim piece closed underneath the valance. The cotton valance is "stuck" in between them. However, with the Velcro strips attached, I can "pull" the denim closed and attach the two pieces together with the hidden Velcro. The denim is heavier than the fold-up shade (tucked up underneath) so it makes it a lot darker when the denim is velcro'ed closed over the shade. 

Cool.




Then I made valances, trimmed with green, for the rest of the RV. I light lots of natural light during the day so I didn't want anymore fabric around the windows than I had to have.  The windows have the fold up shades which is enough for privacy at night and slide up, out of sight under the new denim valances during the day.


These windows initially had stock valances that were ugly, padded upholstery stapled to wood. They  bordered and partially blocked the window on the top and both sides. They made the interior dark and heavy-looking and jutted out into the seating area. They had to go. We kept them, stored in a friend's attic, in case we sell the RV and the new owners want them back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

T-Shirt quilt - University of Maryland Theme

 T-Shirt quilt I made for my daughter with her University of Maryland era T-shirts. I loved doing machine quilting on this and had fun going...