Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Sew Fair

Three days of lectures and demonstrations at the Ellicott City Sew-Vac - that's a lot of education, a lot of exposure to techniques, machines and materials. Here's some pictures of the event, some of the finished creations and some of fabric artists.
I sat beside a lady, Lori, or Lauri, I'm not sure which, who taught me a lot just in her whispered comments during the presentations and explanations during the breaks.  She has seven machines but that includes a couple of vintage ones.  It seems most fabric artists have at least a couple of vintage machines.  I did too, when I had a house.  But then, I didn't have the time that I do now, to go exploring  in fabrics.  I wish Lori and I had exchanged contact information.  I think she could use a friend.  She lost her only child, a grown son, around this time last year.  She is having a tough time.  She asked me for a hug as she dropped tears when the story came out to me and a lady in her late 70's.  I was honored to be asked and delivered that hug with the warmth and empathy that I had in me, having experienced some losses of loved ones in the last few years.

But as our other conversational companion, the 70-some year old lady, commented, losing a child is the worst thing and thankfully I've not been through that hell.  She lost her husband a few years back and had a friend who'd lost both husband and child.  Losing a child is worse, she told her friend.  We all agreed there could be nothing worse.

Lori said she is pretty much a hermit except for work.  She owns an Indian motorcycle and occasionally rides with a group but hasn't ridden much in the last year.  I don't have my motorcycle anymore.  I gave my big Harley cruiser to my son and am living in an RV and travel the country, so that is part of why I didn't take the extra step to make contact with Lori.  Still, I come back to this area a lot. It is home to me.  We have kids here.  I should have reached out more permanently.

It was a good three days of education and exposure to the subculture of fabriholics.   

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story Jane~brought tears to my eyes as I know you showed her love in that big smile & hug of yours. Bless you! Hope all is well in your world!

    ReplyDelete

T-Shirt quilt - University of Maryland Theme

 T-Shirt quilt I made for my daughter with her University of Maryland era T-shirts. I loved doing machine quilting on this and had fun going...