Friday, April 1, 2016

Diamond Edge Baby Quilt

This is my 15th quilt since I started quilting in January 2015. (That includes rag, tufted, and hand-stitched quilts.)

I made this baby quilt, with diamond edge, while in Florida, starting it in Key West and finishing it at Patrick AFB just south of Cocoa Beach. 

This quilt is for one of my nieces in Iowa, who is expecting a baby girl soon.

I machine pieced the blocks, then added batting and backing, and used the same fabric as the backing to make the binding. When I hand quilted it, I stitched 1/4 inside each square, making a square within the block.

I got the idea for the diamond edge on this quilt from the one on our bed in the RV.  I found that quilt at a thrift store several years ago.  It was a great find - hand quilted.  I just examined it, figuring out how it was done, and copied it.
Once this quilt is washed a few more times, the binding will be more pliable, softening in the dips.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful little quilt. You are really getting good, 15 quilts in a year! Very impressive! Just a little tip, cutting the binding on the bias (cut diagonally across the grain) will make it pliable.

    ReplyDelete

T-Shirt quilt - University of Maryland Theme

 T-Shirt quilt I made for my daughter with her University of Maryland era T-shirts. I loved doing machine quilting on this and had fun going...