Wednesday, March 30, 2022

New Wall Art - "Dancing Colors"

I am transitioning from more traditional quilting to fabric arts more generally.  I just finished this one yesterday and mounted it on polystyrene.  I put a black cloth "frame" around it. 

I used my stash on this, which included ric-rac and bric-a-brac.  I had many colors and sizes of ribbons and hem binders and blanket bindings that I'd picked up in thrift stores over the years.  I also did free-motion machine quilting, pebble style in a couple areas, and added some Kantha-style large stitching and French knots.  A little international flavor, wouldn't you say?  A friend of mine who is one of the original team that sequenced DNA, our wicked smart friend, we call him, looked at this before I'd framed it out and started waxing elegantly in physics lingo about the prism and color spectrum and all.  We'd been imbibing over dinner and I want to just blame my failure to fully comprehend on drink and not lack of smarts on my part.  It was fun though.  I wish I'd captured his words for fun to add in here.  

This wall art was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest which came from a Flikr photo.  

Here's my work on the wall in our foyer. 



The picture, above, was done with the yellow topped straight pins holding down some of the ric rac. 


1 comment:

T-Shirt quilt - University of Maryland Theme

 T-Shirt quilt I made for my daughter with her University of Maryland era T-shirts. I loved doing machine quilting on this and had fun going...